Now we had a clear, level site on which we had rolled and compacted 150mm of laterite base coarse. Enclosed it with treated scaffolding planks. The arena was ready for some sand. This I was lucky enough to source in Wolseley. Once transport was arranged it was delivered and we spread it by hand. This was back breaking work. The sand was spread at a 100mm depth across the arena.
Then I rode on it like this for a few months. The arena settled and I managed to save the funds needed to buy the fabulous fibre from Torque earth.
It was a very exciting day when 12 bales of fibre arrived on the farm. Each bale weights approximately 350kg. So we again divided the arenas into squares. We loaded the bales onto the tractor and then drove them onto the arena pushing one off into each demarcated square.
We opened the bales and spread the fibre in 40’ heat. It was hard work! Once evenly spread by hand we then wet the arena thoroughly. We borrowed a rotovator from our very kind neighbor. This mixes the sand and fibre. We then used our tractor and kongskilde to mix in the damp fibre and sand even further.
I then hired a 2.5 ton roller to level and compact the surface. By this time I was exhausted! After a good night’s rest I was very excited and nervous to test the arenas surface. It was and still is amazing! The horses travel on top of the surface instead of into and out of the sand.
For those who think that having kids tests your marriage-try building an arena! I guess my husband would say if you think marriage is hard trying being married to an Equestrian!
Thank you to Peter and his team at Torque earth, my neighbor, my husband and my team of guys.